Similar to your home or vehicle, cemetery monuments may require maintenance over time.
Seasonally, Sagel Bloomfield Danzansky Goldberg Funeral Care, Inc. recommends to every family that they clean the memorial at least once. This can quite easily be done yourself on an annual basis, however, after a period of time, organic growth and dirt build-up may require a thorough cleaning service by expert technicians.
Today, Sagel Bloomfield Danzansky Goldberg Funeral Care, Inc. has a much better understanding of the climate and the effect it has on cemetery monuments. Experience tells us that softer materials, such as marble and concrete, and even certain engraving techniques used on granite, do not typically withstand the elements and over time may become illegible.
Monuments can become dirty or stained by air pollution, hard irrigation water, tree sap, birds, or any number of other sources. Properly cleaned, a monument will be truly a fine piece of memorial art.
Some tips on cleaning a monument:
- Use lots of clean water. It may take as much as 20 gallons to clean an average monument.
- Do not use a pressure washer.
- Do not use any soap or other chemicals.
- Get the monument thoroughly wet before cleaning.
- Use a fiber or nylon brush, not a wire brush.
- Start cleaning at the bottom with just water and elbow grease and work your way up to the top.
- Rinse thoroughly with more clean water.
- Do not let the monument dry until you are finished rinsing.
- Some monuments will require more than one cleaning depending on how stained or dirty it is.
A monument cleaning service may be needed. Many will also restore the landscaping around the monument.
- Weeding and raking of leaves and removal of debris
- Trimming and edging around stones and markers
- Cleaning of flower vases
- Mulching/re-mulching around base of stone monuments and trees
- Fertilizing of grass and flowers
- Flower and Grass watering
- Removal of dirt, foliage, and debris covering headstone or slab
- Complete cleaning of both sides of headstone or foot stone as well as slab if applicable.
- Detailed cleaning of engraved letters to best possible condition.
- Thorough rinsing and cleanup after cleaning